Wednesday, August 20, 2003

Try Again, Fr. Jim!

Well, the personality analysis is proceeding apace at Dappled Things. But I'm getting a little worried about Fr. Jim's people skills, since he apparently can't understand the Meyers-Briggs results he's getting from bloggers. Here's a few of his comments that show what I mean, and my replies.

"First, we're hugely an introverted lot. At first glance, that might seem counter-intuitive, considering how logorrheic and public an activity blogging is. But (forgetting, for the moment, the hundreds of people that read a blog each day) a blog is very much something of a soliloquy."

Introverted? What! You'd think we're secretive or something. Soliloquy? Nonsense. I have comment boxes every 10,000 words, without fail.

"It's all those things that the blogger says to himself inside his head and in the company of his friends,"

Company of who? I had some friends once. It wasn't all it's cracked up to be. You can't even get a word in edgewise before they start telling you how bored they are and trying to change the subject.

"and I think most of us aren't terribly interested in changing our blogs in order to suit the general readership. If they like it, great. If not, who cares."

Sorry, Father. I run every move past my dog, Auggie, to see if it will please my reader.

"It's almost as if the concentration of bloggers increases as one moves toward less common personality types."

Dweeek? Shlebab hoff mamnaio, if you ask me.

"Are the bloggers with long, involved posts concentrated in a particular type?"

I wouldn't know. I don't write long involved posts, remember? I have comment boxes every 15,000 words or so. Now, if you'll excuse me, I have to get back to my latest little note, which deals with the indirect influence of Zoroastrianism on the politics of the Know-Nothings . . . .

No comments: